sábado, 27 de abril de 2013

Origins: The Fire, Debra Driza [Review]





Author: Debra Driza
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (2013)
Pages: 15
Format: eBook

Description:
Heart-stopping and electric, MILA 2.0: Origins: The Fire contains a short prequel story and an excerpt to MILA 2.0, the first book in a riveting Bourne Identity–style trilogy by Debra Driza.
Mila can't remember anything before the fire that took her father's life. It's normal to have some memory loss after traumatic events, but Mila doesn't remember if she's ever learned to ride a bike, or if she's ever been in love. Nothing.
What she doesn't know is that she isn't supposed to remember—that she was built in a computer science lab and programmed to forget. Because if she remembers, she might discover her true identity.
The question is: If she relived the fire, what would she see?

Review:
I think I’m falling deeply in love with novellas—is that even normal? I find them to be extremely interesting, in the aspect that they show to readers bits of important moments or different perspectives that end up being vital for the main story. I haven’t yet started Mila 2.0, but after Origins: The Fire, I can’t wait to dig further, deeper into Mila’s story.

This is a very short tale of what happened before the action of Mila 2.0. There was a fire that took Mila’s father’s life and I can only imagine, after reading all the emotions and thoughts that ran through her mind during this iridescent and life threatening episode, how that event changed her as person. As far as I can see, she doesn’t remember much after the incident, somehow part of her memory gets lost, but that’s the more interesting side of this novella, ‘cause its ending is so powerful, so outstandingly weird and unexpected, that not only took my breath away as also left me hanging on the most tortuous ending possible.

This 15-page narrative still makes me shiver whenever I think about it. The writing was a little confusing at first, but once I got into the moment I couldn’t stop turning the pages. Its pace is so fast and so emotional that’s literally impossible not to care, not to feel nervous and excited, not to sympathize, right away, with Mila’s character. Her persistence, her courage and love for her parents is so big and violent that she’s willing to risk her own life to save them, to have one last piece of time with them, and that only made me care for her more.
If you have doubts on whether you should or should not give a try at Debra’s trilogy, please read this short story and I can promise you that no more reservations will haunt you. Actually, you’ll want to start reading the actual book right away. You’ll see!

Sem comentários:

2009 Pedacinho Literário. All Rights Reserved.